Child-Focused Family Masses
Special child-focused family Masses are held monthly at St. Theresa's, during which children are invited to gather around Father David at the steps to the altar as he animates the Mass readings.
The Liturgy of the Word for Children helps children to experience the Church as Community, and conversely helps the Community to embrace and acknowledge the children in the Parish Family.
The Bible is filled with instructions to parents on the care and proper rearing of children, with special emphasis upon the importance of teaching God's Word. Parents, this is a responsibility the church shares with you, and speaks to the importance of the Liturgy of the Word for Children at Mass. The main focus of the Liturgy of the Word for Children is to encourage children to form a loving and generous response to the Word of God, and to help children learn about their faith in a positive and enjoyable manner.
What happens during the Liturgy of the Word for Children?
- the Children’s Liturgy takes place during Mass
- families sit together at the beginning of the Mass
- while the adults remain in the church to hear the Scripture readings proclaimed, young children are invited to process together to the Parish Hall
- in the Parish Hall, the children listen to and celebrate the presence of God in his Word, at their level of understanding using the Children’s Lectionary
- Liturgy of the Word for Children is suggested for preschool children up to First Communion age
- adults must accompany very young children
- parents are welcome at any time
- after a beginning prayer, there is a reading from either the Old or New Testament, followed by the Gospel of the day
- we also have songs and lively discussion that help the children better understand Scripture, as well as the symbols and traditions at Mass
- following the end of the homily upstairs, the children return to their families in their pews
Currently we have two people who facilitate Liturgy of the Word for Children at St. Theresa's Parish. Do you wish to help? - Perhaps God is calling you! Weekly Leader Guides and training are provided for adult leaders of the Liturgy of the Word for Children. For more information about this Ministry or if you would like to help facilitate the Children's Liturgy, please contact Cheri Kasianchuk.
Catechism is taught at St. Theresa's every two weeks on Sunday mornings from 9:30 to noon and includes Mass, for children from Kindergarten to Grade 8 (including Confirmation classes for grade 8 students). Catechism classes begin the first Sunday before Thanksgiving and continue every two weeks until the last Sunday before the Victoria long weekend. If you have any questions or would like to join this ministry as a catechism instructor or helper, contact our Catechism Coordinator.
If you want more information about the Catechism program, newsletters, calendar and policies at St. Theresa's Parish, please go to the menu item on Catechism.
St. Theresa's Scholarship
This scholarship fund was set up by St. Theresa's Knights of Columbus to assist the youth of our parish to attend a secondary/ post-secondary school in Manitoba. Preference will be given if applying for a Catholic school. In the event of multiple winners the scholarship will be divided equally. Please contact Dennis Weselowski for an application or for further information.